Inter Insular #30 1981

The match was played at College Field, Guernsey
on Sunday 16th August 1981
for the John Haig Scotch Whisky Trophy
Umpires D Trustum (Guernsey) and Dr R L Osment (Jersey)
Scorers H W Hall (Jersey)
Guernsey won toss and elected to bat
Jersey won by 4 wickets
55 overs per side

Guernsey innings    RunsBallsMins4s6sSR Jersey bowlingOvMdnRunsWktsWNbSRER
P L Le CocqcCowardbMiddleton32-12620Middleton2175380015.752.5
K ClarkecHolmesbMiddleton0-300Robson198320001.7
R E H AnthonycStuckeybMiddleton2-500Stuckey1.2102003.60.0
*R W MillscRobsonbMiddleton23-7310
I DamarellcBaileybMiddleton7-1410
W E R BarrettcMiddletonbStuckey11-5220
A CroftcStuckeybMiddleton0-1100
N HuntercHolmesbMiddleton8-320
+†M A FooksbMiddleton0-500
A CreedbStuckey0-600
I Langloisnotout2-400
Extras (b1, lb7, w0, nb0)8
Total (in 41.2 overs)93
Fall of wickets
1-1(Clarke),2-9(Anthony),3-51(Mills),4-63(Damarell),5-79(Le Cocq),6-83(Croft),7-91(Hunter),8-91(Barrett),9-91(Fooks),10-93(Creed)

Jersey innings    RunsBallsMins4s6sSR Guernsey bowlingOvMdnRunsWktsWNbSRER
R Woodc&bCreed15-3020Creed12332200362.7
B Le MarquandlbwbLe Cocq4-5500Langlois7217100422.4
P StuckeycMillsbCreed0-400Mills64100001.7
+†J Holmesnotout36-9730Le Cocq5111100302.2
M BaileybBarrett9-1110Barrett9218200272.0
*D BreedcBarrettbLanglois6-2600
B MoellercAnthonybBarrett9-1610
W Gallichannotout9-1200
M Cowarddnb
R Robsondnb
B Middletondnb
Extras (b3, lb3, w0, nb0)6
Total (for 6 wkts in 39 overs)94
Fall of wickets
1-18(Wood),2-20(Stuckey),3-25(Le Marquand),4-46(Bailey),5-61(Breed),6-76(Moeller)

Guernsey Press
‘Croft unexpectedly follows predecessors into island team’ by Rob Batiste

The selection of Elizabeth College sportsmaster Andrew Croft was the shock choice when the Guernsey team to play Jersey in eight days time was announced last weekend. Croft is the third consecutive College sportsmaster to be selected for the island and if he performs as well as his predecessors Tony Taylor and Robin Winstone the island won’t be let down. A lot of local cricket followers have been wondering this week what Croft has done to warrant his selection. I saw his score a fine half-century for Taverners against Optimists in the quarter-finals of the Philips Audio Knockout and he showed that he is capable of playing a substantial innings against good bowling and this more than anything probably gave him the nod over his rivals. He is also a useful medium-pace bowler and an agile fielder. Even so, I do not believe he has yet shown his real potential.
The selection of St Saviour’s left-handed batsman Keith Clarke was no surprise to me. Although not as consistent as I thought he might be Clarke has made two or three stylish half-centuries and given time I’m sure he’ll become one of the island’s most prolific run-getters. He, too, is another good fielder and both his and Croft’s selection means that the Guernsey side has a more athletic look about it.
The rest of the island side was much as expected although I was surprised to see Malcolm Harvey’s name included because I was under the impression he would be out injured for the rest of the season. However, I understand he contacted the selectors to say he hoped to be fit in time and would play in a couple of matches leading up to the game to prove his fitness or otherwise. The selectors did spring another surprise by naming Sylvan’s Steve Booth as 12th man. Unfortunately , like so many others, he is away on holiday at the time of the match. Booth was to provide cover for Harvey but now he has dropped out it will be interesting to see who is called up. I expect the position to be filled by either Optimists’ Paul Redhead or Tortevites’ Ian Langlois. All in all I think that the four-man selection committee have done a good job. It must be remembered they faced a difficult task with so many players unavailable, and they’ve still come up with a team capable of beating the old enemy!
The Jersey team is due to be picked tomorrow evening after a trial match against the island’s under-23 side. There are three new caps in the Jersey team for this Sunday’s cricket inter-insular at the College Field. Bob Le Marchand, Wayne Gallichan and Mike Coward will be making their first appearances. Mike Weaver, the Jersey captain for the past few years, has not made the team nor has St Luke’s Don Faux.
The team in probable batting order is: 1 Richard Wood, 2 Bob Le Marchand, 3 Peter Stuckey, 4 John Holmes, 5 Derek Breed, 6 Bill Moeller, 7 Mark Bailey, 8 Wayne Gallichan, 9 Mike Coward, 10 Paul Robson, 11 Barry Middleton. 12th man Eamon Ward
Wood and Le Marchand figured in a century opening partnership during Sunday’s trial match against the Jersey Under-23 side. Coward is a fast-medium bowler in his first season in Jersey and Gallichan is a highly-promising young batsmen who scored 41 in the Guernsey-Jersey Under-23 match a few weeks ago.

Caps awarded to the team                                                                 GEP

Neil Hunter    Andy Creed    Ralph Anthony    Keith Clarke
Ian Langlois    Ricky Mills    Andrew Croft    Ian Damarell
Warren Barrett    Pierre Le Cocq    Micky Fooks

‘Le Cocq a model of consistency’
Pierre Le Cocq, Guernsey’s most capped cricketer will be playing in his 19th inter-insular tomorrow. He made his debut in 1961 and since then has only missed out twice – 1969 and last year.
His Rovers colleague Ricky Mills is the next most capped player with 17 appearances behind him. He made his debut in 1964 and has been an ever-present since then. Warren Barrett will be playing in his 15th Guernsey-Jersey game and Mick Fooks joins Mick Mechem on 10 caps. There are 40 cricketers still playing who have appeared in inter-insular matches since 1957:
Pierre Le Cocq 18, Ricky Mills 17, Warren Barrett 14, Alan Bisson 13, Robin Roussel 11, Mick Mechem 10, Mick Fooks 9, Simon Hollyer-Hill 8, Brian Anthony 6, Tony Shepherd 5, Mike Webber 5, Ralph Anthony 5, Miles Dobson 4, Henry Davey 4, John Mountford 4, Bob Kimber 4, Ted Enevoldsen 3, Bryan Preston 3, Geoff Callaway 3, Alan Lewis 3, Ian Damarell 3, Richard Strappini 2, Jack Martel 2, Mike de Haaff 2, Andy Creed 2, Peter Lawlor 2, Tony Ayton 2, John Appleyard 2, Gerve Brazier 2, Ian Fitchet 1, Mick Wherry 1, Graham Garland 1, Dick Mason 1, Chris Day 1, Mick Falla 1, John Hunter 1, Malcolm Harvey 1, Neil Hunter 1, Roy Martel 1, Vernon Collenette 1.
Players no longer playing who played at least three time: Bill Robilliard 9, Bill Druce 5, Tony Taylor 5, Richard Clark 4, Roger Self 4, John Le Poidevin 4, Ian Lloyd 3, Graham Offen 3, Colin Eley 3, Philip Sarre 3, John Le Lievre 3. (Statistics by Ricky Mills)

Jersey Post
Selectors Chummy Poree, Graham Goodyear, Albert Brown, Ray Pearce and David Hunt have selected a ‘well balanced side with batsmen capable of building an innings as well as those who can score quickly if they have to. We have a nice blend of youth and experience.’

‘Middleton blasts local batsmen’ by Paul Cochrane

An undistinguished start to the Guernsey innings and a catastrophe immediately after lunch were chiefly instruments in Jersey’s four wicket victory in yesterday’s John Haig-sponsored cricket inter-insular at the College Field.
It was a victory which put Jersey 7-6 ahead in the series and the man chiefly responsible for this was their pace bowler Barry Middleton. Middleton took eight Guernsey wickets for 53 as the local side crumbled for only 93 and he was the obvious choice as man-of-the-match. He whipped out debutant Keith Clarks and Ralph Anthony while, in a calamitous 20-ball spell immediately after the resumption, he and Peter Stuckey removed the last five Guernseymen for the addition of only 10 runs. Even so, Jersey required 38 of the 55 overs available and lost six wickets before passing Guernsey’s total, and as painful a process as it was for spectators to watch, credit must go to the home side’s bowlers. Aware of the need to keep matters tight they gave all but wicket-keeper John Holmes something to ponder about and with a few more runs to play with might well have pinched victory.
Emulating Miles Dobson’s performance in the GCA/JCL match, Middleton occupied the Rue a L’Or end throughout Guernsey’s innings which lasted just over 41 overs. Obviously at his freshest in the first over he surprised St Saviour’s left hander Keith Clarke with one that lifted slightly and Holmes comfortably accepted the catch.

Openers Keith Clarke and Pierre Le Cocq stride out to open the Guernsey innings

The ball that dismissed Ralph Anthony two overs later bore some resemblance but the catch taken by Peter Stuckey posted at first slip was in a different class, for his vision must have been obscured by Holmes flinging himself across the path of the ball.
Fortunately it brought together two of the most defensively sound batsmen in the Guernsey side as skipper Ricky Mills joined opener Pierre Le Cocq. Determined at all costs to prevent any further disasters Mills pushed forward to everything and with Le Cocq began to take some of the sting out of dual spearhead of Middleton and Paul Robson. Le Cocq in fact appeared quite confident and was turning the ball nicely off his legs although with his score on 18 he survived a dropped catch at second slip.

Ricky Mills in full flow at the College Field                                        GEP

Dogged rather than fluent shots helped the score past the 50 mark but soon afterwards Mills, who had previously lofted shots into the vacant areas on the leg side, spooned a simple one to Robson stationed at square leg to present Middleton with his third success. The partnership involving the Rovers’ pair had used up more than 20 overs and realised 42 runs, but with Ian Damarell, Warren Barrett, Andrew Croft and Neil Hunter still to bat the scoring rate was the least of the Guernsey captain’s worries as he returned to the pavilion.
And with Damarell opening his account with a crisp boundary hopes of an upsurge were enhanced. However, completely out of position when attempting to hook Middleton Damarell soon gifted a catch to Mark Bailey. Now at the mid-point of the innings Guernsey were looking to the experience of Barrett and Le Cocq, the latter still seemingly untroubled, to cement a match-winning stand.
With Middleton and Robson displaying admirable stamina and accuracy in the warm sun the duo took the score to 79 before Le Cocq edged another chance to slip and Mike Coward grasped the opportunity to put an end to the opener’s resistance. Only 83 for 5 after 38 overs, lunch must have tasted good to the Jersey players – especially to Middleton, whose 19 successive overs had brought him all five wickets. Whether the Jerseymen were revitalised or the local side feeling sluggish at the resumption is a matter of contention. What remains fact is that Guernsey experienced the sort of collapse one believed was seen only in Test matches.

Pierre Le Cocq plays the ball to leg during his innings in which he scored one third of Guernsey’s runs                                     GEP

Andrew Croft departed to the first ball of the session from Middleton and then Neil Hunter, surprisingly entering the action so late in proceedings, became the same bowler’s seventh victim, although not before crashing a couple of boundaries. With the score on 91 Middleton was again in the action, this time picking up Barrett at square leg from the bowling of Stuckey, while in the next over Mick Fooks was bowled without scoring. Three wickets had fallen without a run being added!

Barry Middleton, the scourge of Guernsey batsmen for years                            GEP

Andy Creed saw to it that Guernsey would not redeem themselves with a fighting final wicket stand when he became the fourth man to register a duck. The disaster was complete.
Creed and Ian Langlois, called in to the side as a replacement for Malcolm Harvey, were handed the responsibility of making an early breakthrough with the new ball and both opened with maidens.
However, the innings was nine overs old before Creed took a brilliant right-handed catch low to his right from his own bowling to send back Richard Wood, the more dangerous of the Jersey openers. From the third ball of Creed’s next over Mills, posted at forward short leg, snapped up Stuckey, and five runs later Wood’s partner, Bob Le Marquand was trapped leg before by Le Cocq.
Langlois, who had strayed down the leg side quite frequently in his four over spell, was replaced at the pavilion end by Mills and although he recorded four successive maidens Mills found no more joy than his predecessor. However, the Guernsey captain continued to ring the changes and Barrett, coming around the wicket, troubled the Jerseymen considerably. His reward arrived with the final ball of his first over when he bowled Mark Bailey. Barrett also had a hand in the dismissal of Derek Breed, neatly taking him at first slip to give Langlois, who had switched his attack to the Rue a L’Or end, his first success.

Jersey Captain Derek Breed drives while Andrew Croft takes evasive action                                      GEP

Jersey, however, mainly through the efforts of wicket-keeper Holmes, who had occupied the crease since the fall of Stuckey, were inching their way towards victory. One more wicket fell before the celebrations could start and the deserving bowler was Barrett – Anthony taking a splendid running catch at deep mid-wicket to remove Bill Moeller.

Bill Moeller hits out but was brilliantly caught by Ralph Anthony at mid-wicket off Warren Barrett                      GEP

Le Cocq, Mills and Barrett for Guernsey salvaged some self respect from a disappointing match while Holmes batted sensibly for Jersey.
Most of the credit, however, must be attributed to Middleton superbly backed by Robson, who did a Dobson on us. It’s a shame there was no Dobson to return the favour …

Jersey Post
‘Jersey win, but standards sink’ by Cricketer

Much of what was presented was inept rubbish and although Jersey won there were few players, Middleton, Holmes and Robson to be precise, who can find satisfaction in the achievement.
Guernsey won the toss and decided to make first use of the wicket that was by the usual standards of Elizabeth College relatively quick.
Anthony groped myopically at Middleton and Stuckey took a clean low catch at first slip.
Middleton overpitched one delivery outside the leg stump which Mills met with the face of the bat. The ball travelled at great speed the six feet to very short square leg where Breed, or more exactly Breed’s nose, was fielding. Four runs were certainly saved but Breed retired bleeding profusely although in one piece. The Guernsey authorities were unable to find the key to the First Aid box which was not the only example of a certain disdain for organisation. Breed was able to return after 40 minutes but circumspectly decided to try the safety of mid-on.
Lack of organisation presented itself again between innings when it was discovered that no-one was available to sweep and roll the pitch. The Guernsey players ignored the problem presumably on the grounds that they themselves had finished with the wicket and it was left to Breed, the Jersey captain, to do it himself. We do not recall Brearley performing a similar function at Lord’s.
Shortly after 2pm Jersey set out on the apparently simple task of acquiring 94 runs in 55 overs at a run rate of 1.71 and Le Marquand gave the impression that the ball might come to pieces if hit too hard. Holmes had other ideas and arrived with visible determination and excess hair prettily revealed beneath his new Haig cap.
Tea was taken at a slightly uncomfortable 59 for 4 from 29 overs with uncommitted spectators visibly yawning.

Guernsey Press
‘The day the runs dried up!’ by Paul Cochrane

With Neil Hunter, probably the most prolific scorer in Evening League cricket, listed as low as number eight, one would have expected run gathering the least of Guernsey’s problems in last Sunday’s inter-insular match at the College Field.
But a problem it was although credit must go to pacemen Barry Middleton and Paul Robson for creating such havoc in the local ranks. Bowling all but two of the 41 overs between them they rarely showed signs of flagging and even if they were less fiery towards the close of the innings they retained their accuracy remarkably well. Having stated that it still doesn’t excuse a miserable batting performance. Only Pierre Le Cocq and Ricky Mills proved that, with the correct technique, the Jersey pair could be mastered.
It was an unfortunate first outing in the Guernsey side for Keith Clarke, who although well equipped to open, was unaware of Middleton’s capabilities. Certainly the ball that dismissed him would have been difficult to deal with at any stage of the innings, let alone the second delivery. Ralph Anthony also faced Middleton at his fiercest and fell to an excellent catch at first slip by Peter Stuckey but unfortunately many of Guernsey’s batsmen were out playing poor shots.
The post-lunch disaster should have ruled out any possibility of a home victory but as it transpired an extra 30 or 40 runs would have provided a thrilling finish. John Holmes apart, Jersey’s batsmen fared little better against the Guernsey attack. Skipper Mills handled his bowlers well although he might have been better taking the new ball himself instead of offering it to Ian Langlois. Although he produced creditable figures Langlois wandered down the leg side too frequently in his opening spell.
Mills himself only conceded 10 runs in six overs, four of which were maidens, while Andy Creed, without his usual sparring partner to support him, wound himself up sufficiently to grab a couple of scalps. Warren Barrett caused the most headaches and with more runs to play with might well have spun out the lower order men.
The outcome had all our players been available is pure conjecture although it was ironic that some of our best performers against Jersey in the past were watching from the boundary. However, what emerges from the debris of a sub-standard match is that Guernsey’s most experienced campaigners are still their most reliable.

Jersey Post
‘Jersey critic blasts cricket’s big match’ by Dennis Mannion
Jersey Evening Post correspondent ‘Cricketer’ did not, apparently, think much of the standard of cricket in last Sunday’s match between Jersey and Guernsey. Commenting on the generous sponsorship of Haig Scotch Whisky he felt that the standard of play barely rewarded either the sponsor or the spectator.
He wrote, ‘Much of what was presented was inept rubbish and although Jersey won there were few players – Middleton, Holmes and Robson to be precise – who can find satisfaction in the achievement.’
He also criticised the lack of organisation, in particular between innings, when it was discovered that no-one was available to sweep and roll the pitch. He said, ‘The Guernsey [players ignored the problem, presumably on the grounds that they themselves had finished with the wicket and it was left to Breed, the Jersey captain, to do it himself. We do not recall Brearley performing a similar function at Lords.’
But the Jersey bowlers did all that could be expected of them and Barry Middleton, with eight for 53, was rightly named man-of-the-match.